Each year, CEAA presents special awards to the Faculty of The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science to honor the exceptional teaching and research undertaken by members of that same body.
Established by CEAA in 1996, the award is presented annually by the Board of Managers in recognition of excellence in teaching and dedication to undergraduate students. The recipient must be a member of the faculty of the School.
CEAA is committed to honoring and supporting the students at Columbia Engineering. Through awards and scholarships, the board hopes to foster a greater community of engineering exellence.
The award was established by CEAA in memory of Charles Kandel, class of 1911, Civil Engineering, whose tireless efforts were devoted to helping undergraduate engineers prepare for the realities of professional life after graduation. This award is granted annually by the Board of Managers. The recipient must be an undergraduate in the School. The criteria for selection are: promoting the best interests of Columbia in general, partaking on co-curricular activities connected with the School, actively contributing to student-alumni affairs, and giving evidence by specific conduct of his or her appreciation of the traditions established by past and present engineering alumni and his or her recognition of the responsibility to uphold these traditions.
Established by an endowment from Roger Guarino, Class of 1951, a long-time supporter of the School and devoted member of CEAA who was largely responsible for the growth and management of the C.P. Davis bequest. The award, which is given in memory of Roger’s son Stephen D. Guarino, is made annually to a member of the senior class of the Department of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, on recommendation of the department chairman and with the approval of the Board of Managers. The award recognizes a student who has combined leadership, school spirit and scholastic achievement as described in the criteria of the award.
Established by contributions from the friends and fellow alumni of Henry Michel, Class of 1949, in recognition of his leadership and support of CEAA and the School throughout his long and noteworthy career. Under his aegis as President and Chairman of Parsons, Brinkerhoff, Quade and Douglass, the firm became one of the world’s leading engineering companies. It is given each year to an individual student or group of students in the Department of Civil Engineering, and, where possible, in support of a worthy student project with priority given to those relating to the construction industry.
Established by a bequest of Edmund Prentis, School of Mines Class of 1906. Prentis served as a Trustee of the University, President of CEAA, and was a benefactor to the University and the School of Engineering. With his schoolmates Lazarus White, School of Mines Class of 1904, and Charles B. Spencer, School of Mines Class of 1907, he established the firm of Spencer White & Prentis, which became one of America’s leading foundation and marine engineering and construction companies.
The scholarships are awarded annual to students who have not only financial need but also who exemplify outstanding leadership abilities and scholarship.
Established in recognition of C.P. Davis, School of Mines Class of 1922, for his many years of loyalty, leadership and active support of the School and CEAA, and in recognition of his transforming bequest to CEAA, which enabled it to become an important and independent resource for the School, and its students, faculty and alumni.
In gratitude for his visionary generosity and memorable accomplishments, the School established the C.P. Davis Scholars Program for entering students of extraordinary abilities to enjoy the advantage of co-curriculum enhancement programs to prepare them for excellence in their chosen professions.